Welcome to Research Engineers
Research Engineers introduces the next generation of REI’s flagship product, STAAD.Pro, the most popular structural engineering software product for 3D model generation, analysis and multi-material design. It has an intuitive, user-friendly GUI, visualization tools, powerful analysis and design facilities and seamless integration to several other modeling and design software products. The software also is fully compatible with Windows 2000 and Windows ME, and is optimized for the new Windows XP.
For static or dynamic analysis of bridges, containment structures, embedded structures (tunnels and culverts), pipe racks, steel, concrete, aluminum or timber buildings, transmission towers, stadiums or any other simple or complex structure, STAAD.Pro has been the choice of design professionals around the world for their specific analysis needs.
News and Events
New Release – STAAD.Pro CONNECT Edition V22 Update 2 (22.02.00)
As part of our commitment to you to deliver new builds more frequently, we are making available this version which adds great new functionality to improve efficiency for engineers around the world and has resolved numerous issues that have been reported and thus highly recommend that this version is adopted to improve your working experience.
Physical Model Loading
With the growing adoption of engineers using the Physical Model workflow to create the STAAD structure, there has been a requirement to extend the range of loading definitions that can be supported and used in the analysis
- Wind Create definitions of static and dynamic wind loading in the Catalog and use to create special load cases where the structure is loading using the specification.
- Temperature and Strain Loading Account for thermal and stresses due to strain on members and thermal loading on surfaces.
- Variable Surface Loading Quickly generate complex variable loading of surfaces by defining the intensity at known positions on the surface and let STAAD.Pro then determine the way this will be distributed on the plates that are created in the decomposition of the surface for analysis purposes.
- Hydrostatic Built around the variable loading, this new tool generates the variable loads typically found on tank walls or retaining structures where the intensity of load varies along a (typically vertical direction)
- Snow Automatically distribute loading caused by a snow loads according to the ASCE 7 code on a roof structure defined in a new group collection and added to your model as a new special Snow Definition load case.
- Inclined Node Loading There are times when the forces applied to the structure don’t align with the global axes and it can be difficult to try and manually resolve the actual loading into the global directions. So the node loading tool has been extended to allow the direction of loading be defined to a user defined axes system. Additionally, where the load may emanate from a central location, such as the centre of a circular tank, having the load point to or from that location means that the loading becomes much easier to manage.
- Combinations Methods When working with non-linear behaviour in the structure such as tension only or compression only members or supports, or non-linear forms of analysis including P-Delta, then the standard for of combination using superposition may not be appropriate. So to create the combinations of loading effects needed for post processing and the design processes, the analysis should be performed on a combination of loading rather than combination of results. STAAD.Pro supports this with REPEAT loading and the combinations can be quickly changed to support this method with a new option in the Options settings:
Support of the IBC 2018 / ASCE 7-16 response spectrum loading with the values of SS and S1 determined from a zip code or latitude and longitude on mainland USA.
Implementation of the horizontal and vertical irregularity checks for the static seismic loading routine when using rigid floor diaphragms.
For models that include both beam and column designs to the IS 13920, there is now the additional implementation of the joint checks for IS 13920-2016.
The range of supported design codes in the Connection Design workflow has been extended with support of the New Zealand NZ3404-1997 design specification as provided in the RAM Connection standalone application.
The Post Processing layout for Ultilization for the AISC 360-16 has been extended to support models which includes multiple code checks rather than just the details that are resultant from the last design CHECK or SELECT. Additionally there is an option to see which design checks produced the most onerous utilization.
Whilst the most efficient way to perform an analysis is on a local computer, there are times when the model is hosted across the network and to help engineers who have to work in that situation, we have introduced a number of changes have resulted in a noticeable performance boost such as using a local folder to temporarily host the data for the analysis and also reducing the calls into temporary files.
STAAD.Pro has grown to be more than just the analysis program, but it also includes a supporting cast of complimentary software that provides extra value to engineering designs. This new release has seen development in some of these modules too, most notably:-
Advanced Concrete Design – RCDC
Version 9.0 provides greater support for ACI 318 design for beams, columns and foundations with English units
Chinese Steel Design – SSDD
(available as a separate installation)
The design of steel structures to the Chinese steel code now available as a CONNECT Version using a modern ribbon style GUI to mirror that used in STAAD.Pro. Including improved report customisation and available in Chinese and English versions.
Additional tables in the Indian database for WPB and NPB shapes and Tata Structura 2014 shapes
Bentley BIM Accreditation
Bentley Systems has launched a free accreditation program for BIM competences – the first phase is BIM Modeler Accreditation.
The program is free of charge, takes place on-line in English and consists of several stages, which end with the award of an official certificate – details in the appendix.
First you need to register for the right course:
- Architectural (29.03 or 07.05)
- Structural (22.03 or 15.05)
QuickStart online is required as preparation before the 2-hour live session
- Architectural QuickStart for OpenBuildings Designer (AECOsim): Architectural BIM Modeler Accreditation Learning Path
- Structural QuickStart for OpenBuildings Designer (AECOsim): Structural BIM Modeler Accreditation Learning Path
- Mechanical (the date of the live session is not yet fixed) QuickStart for OpenBuildings Designer (AECOsim): Mechanical BIM Modeler Accreditation Learning Path
- Electrical (the date of the live session is not yet fixed) QuickStart for OpenBuildings Designer (AECOsim): Electrical BIM Modeler Accreditation Learning Path
IDEA StatiCa Resource Center
On their website IDEA StatiCa provides a file path with all related documents to steel, concrete and prestressing, BIM and licensing.
Further information can be found on the website https://www.ideastatica.com/